Sunday, November 06, 2005

Liberals will win the next election

The most recent polls show the Tories and the Liberals in a virtual tie, so many Tories are gleeing at the prospect of forming the next government. I will say one thing to my friends who still support the Tories, the liberals will re-bound as they have in past instances where the Tories pulled into the lead. Why? Because whenever news on the scandal breaks out, people's attention turns towards the liberals who people are obviously unhappy about. But once people start to think about the prospect of Stephen Harper becoming prime-minister, they return to the liberals, not because they support them, but simply because they are the lesser of the two evils. Although I am generally to the right of the liberals, I will still vote liberal since I believe Paul Martin would be a better prime-minister. For all his flaws, at least you know what to expect. Besides the Liberal Party is a big tent party where people with different views are welcome, while the Conservatives have increasingly become more and more narrow. People like me who support lower taxes and two tiered health care, but support gay marriage and oppose the War in Iraq are told we are not welcome in the Conservative Party. Former Progressive Conservatives like myself who were uncomfortable with the more right wing Reform/Alliance parties are told we are not real conservatives. This is why I have quit the Conservative Party despite my views on many issues being closer to theirs than the Liberals and why I will not vote Conservative next election if Stephen Harper is still the leader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home