Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Stephen Harper and the Media

Its been a while since I have made an entry, but now that the election is over, my entries will be less frequent. Anyways recently there are stories about Stephen Harper keeping cabinet meetings secret and refusing to talk with the media. It is clear Harper has a strong disdain for the media (and I suspect most politicians don't like them as no one likes their policies under close scrutiny) but guess what that is part of the job. He doesn't have to always be in front of the media like Martin was, but he needs to stop trying to avoid it like a plague and needs to let the public know when he is holding a cabinet meeting unless it is a emergency that requires secrecy for national security. As someone who is just entering the labour force, I have learned all jobs have aspects one won't like and if one cannot stand those aspects they shouldn't apply for the job. For Stephen Harper he needs to drop the muzzle on his cabinet and quit his secrecy, or quit as prime-minister. I don't like being in front of cameras myself, but I wouldn't apply for a job that required this.

Anyways, while Harper is still learning the ropes and some may say we should cut him some slack, so far I don't think he is off to a very good start. If he changes his attitude and behavior, I will be the first to admit it, but if this style of governing continues after a year, I will not be happy. Regardless of his policies, I never really thought he was the right person to lead the country, so he has the next 18 months to 2 years to prove me wrong.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miles, have you checked your blog lately? It specifically says that comment moderation has been enabled and all comments must be approved by you.

Uh, your petard - does it hurt being hoisted on it?

AB/ba

9:27 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

The blog seems to do this. I took the comment moderation off not long ago, but for whatever reason they put it back on.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home