Saturday, May 27, 2006

Liberal Event Filled Weekend

Yesterday and today, I went to two Liberal events where I got to meet several prominent players. Yesterday, Bill Graham hoisted a youth dinner and Wilson's steak house where all those under 25 were invited for free. I was one of the older ones and one of the few that had graduated and was now in the workforce. Bill Graham got a chance to meet with all of the youth. I talked to him on a few issues and I was impressed with how frank he was about his beliefs. He made clear he was upset about how the Afghanistan vote was held, but still strongly felt Canada should be there, which is why he voted in favour of extending the mission. He argued it would have passed by a much larger motion had a proper debate been held. When talking about some of the challenges ahead, he understood fully the challenge the Liberals face in rural Canada where they won very few seats and the need to adopt policies that appeal to rural Canada. Also at the event was former MP from Trinity-Spadina, Tony Ianno, who lost to Jack Layton's wife Olivia Chow last January 23rd. He is now running for president of the party. Blair Wilson, the newly elected MP for West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea to Sky Country was there along with his wife. I briefly met him at the Vancouver Board of Trade event before he was elected MP, so this was my first chance to meet him as an MP. There were about 40 youth some undecided like me and others involved in certain campaigns. It was great to see how many Liberals are still determined to stay involved and help re-build the party. If only some Tories could see how many devoted Liberals there still are, they might be a little less cocky.

On Saturday, I went to the Liberal barbecue hosted by Bill Graham out in Richmond. Several prominent figures including Bob Rae, Tony Ianno, Maurizio Bevilacqua, Karn Manhas (former provincial MLA), Joyce Murray (former BC cabinet minister and Liberal candidate in January), Blair Wilson, Sukh Dhaliwal (Liberal MP for Newton-North Delta), Hedy Fry, Raymond Chan (Former minister of multiculturalism and current MP for Richmon), Daniel Igali, and Prem Vinning (veteran Liberal organizer, also the guy who called into a phone-in with the premier as Peter, the trucker from Surrey). There were a couple hundred people here so I only got a chance to meet with some, but almost all of the prominent players including even Bob Rae. Although I definitely will not be supporting Bob Rae for the leadership, I am always still interested in meeting each of the contenders.

Tomorrow both Gerard Kennedy and Scott Brison will be in town. Since the events are at the same time, I will be going to Scott Brison's one. These are certainly interesting times to be a Liberal. Also a nice thing about being a party member is you can talk openly about your views with other Liberals even on issues where they disagree with the party. Indeed most of my views are supported at least by some Liberals and almost all of them like myself disagree with the party on at least one issue. However, at least there is a recognition of this rather than trying to muzzle everyone to tow the party line as Harper is doing.

15 Comments:

Blogger BL said...

These are certainly interesting times to be a Liberal.

Yep, being at 25% in the polls is a novelty for Liberals. Let's hope you stay there, permanantly.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad the young Liberals had a good time and I wish the Cons would stay out of these comments. We all know what they think, so why do they even bother ?

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd go to the Kennedy event if I were you. I think Brison's going to drop out of the race by labour day where as I think Kennedy wins this thing on the 4th ballot. Just my opinion.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am glad the young Liberals had a good time and I wish the Cons would stay out of these comments. We all know what they think, so why do they even bother ?"

More of that L(l)iberal tolerance!

That's right, instead of debating the issues, why not fill the board with half-truths, exaggerations and partisan blindness as Miles usually does!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Yep, being at 25% in the polls is a novelty for Liberals. Let's hope you stay there, permanantly.

Lets hope not. This is not good for democracy.

dm - I will get another chance to meet Gerard Kennedy as I am sure he will come out again whereas I am less sure about Scott Brison coming out again.

Annie and Anonymous - I actually like Conservatives commenting here since I like to debate with them. I am very confident with my arguments so it is always fun shooting down all their holes.

10:28 PM  
Blogger BL said...

I am glad the young Liberals had a good time and I wish the Cons would stay out of these comments.

Come on Annie, Miles and I are good friends. We can kid around like this and not take it personally.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Come on Annie, Miles and I are good friends. We can kid around like this and not take it personally.

I should also add that we are both BC Liberals provincially so we agree on provincial politics. I was also a former Progressive Conservatives when he was a Canadian Alliance member so at the time we both had a similiar enemy. Off course the Liberals were my second choice so when the Alliance take over the PCs I switched. I did initially support the merger and was supportive of the party until Harper became leader.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good idea to go to Brison's event. Kennedy's campaign is in a steep decline. Kennedy's only Quebec organizer jumped ship last week and is now supporting Brison who has Quebec's strongest camapign behind Iggy.
Last week, Kennedy had 2 cancelled Quebec events. He wandered around aimelessly at an event with Bernard Patry, slamming the Tories for stopping funding to Hamas!! (what the hell is up with that!!)

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miles, you supported Stockwell?

2:15 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

No Brian - I never supported Stockwell Day. Brandon might have, but I never did. I supported Peter MacKay and Brian Mulroney, but not Stockwell Day. That guy is a complete buffoon and thankfully was soundly beaten at the polls. As much as I dislike Stephen Harper and Preston Manning, I would take either of them over Stockwell Day, mind you I would rather none of those three ever come anywhere close to 24 Sussex drive.

7:29 PM  
Blogger BL said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:18 PM  
Blogger BL said...

Yet I still remember Miles telling me he voted CA in 2000.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Brandon - I was considering voting CA, but I did not vote CA, I voted PC. At the time I really didn't pay too much attention to federal politics. Once I started paying attention the more I realized the Alliance was too extreme to govern.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Or when a man named George W. Bush invaded Iraq?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I supported the war initially for two reasons

1. I wanted Saddam Hussein removed

2. I felt that with 49 members of the coalition of the willing there was sufficient international support.

However, I made a big mistake and I learned from it, which is why my views on foreign policy have changed dramatically since then. We all make mistakes and learn from them. Also in 2000, I was not keen on George W. Bush becoming president, mind you I was not keen on Al Gore becoming president either. I didn't really start to despise George W. Bush until 2004, although I would never say I thought he was a great president, but at least I thought he was an okay president up until then.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home