Thursday, May 04, 2006

Campbell urges PM to support Kelowna Accord

I was quite pleased to here Gordon Campbell speak out in favour of the Kelowna Accord
I know he worked very hard on this file and I think it is a huge disappointment the new government has chosen not to honour this. I know Campbell understands the importance of diplomacy with the federal government and generally keeps his disagreements with them private between the two, so the fact he is publicly speaking out I think should be a major sign to the Tories to take note. This was not as Monte Solberg claimed written on the back of a napkin, this was done in consultation with the 10 provinces and 3 territories over 18 months. Campbell also isn't the only one to criticize the decision to cancel the Kelowna Accord, even Ralph Klein argued the Liberal plan is better. I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with what the Conservatives have offered to aboriginals, especially those living off reserves, but I do think they ought to honour the Kelowna Accord. First Nation's issue may not be the most politically glamourous but they are very important. The poverty this group has lived in is shameful and we must work cooperatively to help end it. I would urge the Conservatives to honour the Kelowna Accord.

1 Comments:

Blogger opinionator777 said...

Hey Miles I just wanted you to know that I have started my own blog (proudbcer.blogspot.com). I encourage you to check it out

Tina

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home