Monday, September 04, 2006

Safe Injection Site to stay open for now

For the last little while the Conservatives have waffled on whether to keep the Safe Injection site on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside open or not. Health Minister Tony Clement has announced it can stay open until December 31, 2007, which is somewhat of a relief. While some Liberals may condemn this, I should remind them that there will likely be another election before then, which I believe the Liberals can win so it may not even be an issue by then.

In terms of my views on the safe injection site, I initially opposed the idea since I was worried it would lead to more crime in the area, but since my fears have not turned up and it has worked well, I believe it should stay open. I don't support right wing ideologues like Randy White who believe in a US style War on Drugs of locking every drug addict up, which has proven to be an abysmal failure. Even former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson, who was a Republican, argued it was a failure and should be ended. While I don't condone drug use, people make bad decisions and we should focus on treatment rather than punishment. On the other side of the coin, I don't support those on the left who believe we should have a safe injection site in every community across the country. I would not be keen on having a safe injection site next to where I live, but considering the Downtown Eastside (I know this area well since I drive through it regularly) was already plagued with drug addiction and many were dying due to unsafe needles and overdoses so it made sense in that case. That is why I believe the federal government should allow communities that wish to have such a site have one, while those that don't shouldn't be forced to have one. The role of both the federal and provincial government should be to fund them and establish parameters, but not to decide whether one is allowed to operate or not. I should note not all right wing politicians oppose the idea. In fact former mayor Philip Owen, current mayor Sam Sullivan, and BC premier Gordon Campbell all support insite despite all being centre-right in their political philosophy, so it is not some wacko left wing idea as Randy White likes to label it as. Even Harper's ideological soulmate John Howard, has a safe injection site in his country.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is clear that Miles Lunn does not condone the rule of law either. name one other government program which supports the breaking of laws?

8:17 AM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Its not about condoning breaking the law, it is realizing that these people are addicts and will use heroin no matter what. As a humane and civilized society, should we just let them die, or should we help them out. I should note anonymous that the Vancouver Police support the safe injection site as do many in the legal community. It is not just lefties who endorse it, Philip Owen, Sam Sullivan, and Gordon Campbell who are all centre-right endorse it. I initially opposed it, but since it has worked well, it support keeping it open.

name one other government program which supports the breaking of laws

There aren't others, but there are no other areas where it is necessary. I don't see things in black and white, but rather shades of grey and sometimes you have to make exceptions to the rule, where appropriate. I should note I live only 5 minutes away from the Downtown Eastside so I understand just how serious the drug problem is there whereas many of those complaining about the site have probably have no idea what the Downtown Eastside is like.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home