Sunday, August 06, 2006

Vancouver's Gay Pride Parade

Today in Vancouver, we had our annual pride parade. Hedy Fry, my local MP as well as my MLA Lorne Mayencourt both had floats in the event. In addition to them the NDP including leader Jack Layton were there as well the Vancouver Centre Conservative riding association. I must say I give them kudos for coming out when one considers how hostile their leader and many of their MPs are to gay rights. Off course knowing some of the Conservatives from Vancouver Centre, most are former PCs like myself who are right leaning on economic issues, but socially liberal. In fact if the Conservatives were more like this, I would be more comfortable with the party since it is the social conservatism as opposed to economic conservatism that scares me off from them. I was also pleased to see from members from the financial sector, which is what sector I work in. I saw VanCity, CIBC, and TD Canada Trust with floats so it is good to see them support the gay community.

The mood generally seemed good despite the fact that gay rights may be in danger this fall when Stephen Harper re-visits SSM. While the vote will likely fail, it is a divisive issue that I think should be dropped and even some Conservative cabinet ministers including ones such as Loyola Hearn and Chuck Strahl who initially opposed SSM would like the issue dropped. My only hope is Harper doesn't re-visit the issue after the next election should he God forbid, win a majority.

Tomorrow, time permitting, I plan to write on the draft resolution on the Middle East Crisis after I've had time to read it. So far it looks good and when one considers France and the United States are practically on opposite sides on the Middle East, I suspect it is probably a good compromise if they both agree.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and many urban Conservative would be more comfortable yes. But most rural Conservatives, especially on the Prairies, would be staying home if such was the party.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

You and many urban Conservative would be more comfortable yes. But most rural Conservatives, especially on the Prairies, would be staying home if such was the party.

If every party supported gay marriage I suspect many rural voters would still show up. Even though most oppose gay marriage, only a minority have it as their number one issue. In addition even many who oppose it want to move onto other issues. And quite frankly when it comes to minority rights I don't believe any party should sacrifice those for vote gains. And if some don't like it, too bad. The majority should never be able to suppress a minority, which is why we have the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and why the Liberals have so vigorously defended it.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home