Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jean Lapierre resigns his seat

I cannot say I am overly disappointed as I was never really a fan of this guy in the first place. As a staunch federalist, I am always skeptical about bringing on a former separtist and I somehow doubt that had Stephane Dion been leader in 2004, Lapierre would currently be an MP. As for his replacement, I would try to choose a female candidate since with our improving numbers in Quebec, this riding is likely a safe one rather than a vulnerable one as it was last election. But if we don't find a female candidate, please choose someone other than Justin Trudeau. Almost every non-partisan over 35 I've talked to who has listened to the guy says he is the most annoying and lets remember those over 35 are more likely to vote than the younger voters who seem to be intrigued by him and it is the non-partisans who we need to win the next election. If we want a former Trudeau, then choose Sasha Trudeau, who despite the fact I disagree with him on a number of issues, he is at least very articulate. I am all for Justin Trudeau running, but have him run in a Bloc Quebecois held riding and make him work for his seat, don't hand it to him. Also I wouldn't mind if we got Martin Cauchon to return back to politics. Besides star candidates may generate a lot of media attention, but good constituency MPs are the ones who win you elections so lets go for the latter rather than the former.

5 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I agree with your points on Justin Trudeau. I wonder why so many Canadians veiw the Trudeau family like Americans view the Kennedy's? I've never felt like Pierre was anything special, and I doubt his son Justin would be much of that either.

Justin Trudeau would be another Ken Dryden to the media... except he might have more political 'street cred' from the media's standpoint.

If Trudeau wants to run, he should have to run for his money in a Bloc riding. Make it something significant.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its refreshing to see Liberals question the merits of Justin Trudeau candidacy in Outremont.

For to long their has been a tendency to give a privileged treatment to sons of well-known former politicians. They have often proven to be big disappointments as their lack of depth and experience shine through. George Bush and Peter MacKay come to mind.

If Justin Trudeau wants to a politician, he should get down in the trenches with the rest of us to both promote the Liberal Party and federlism. It is time for Justin to show some real conviction.

I agree he should run in a currently held BQ riding.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I agree with your points on Justin Trudeau. I wonder why so many Canadians veiw the Trudeau family like Americans view the Kennedy's? I've never felt like Pierre was anything special, and I doubt his son Justin would be much of that either.

I don't think most Canadians see him as a saviour, only some Liberals do. I've generally found in both the private sector and public sector, the children of important parents often screw things up since they are use to everything being handed down to them rather than having to earn it.

Justin Trudeau would be another Ken Dryden to the media... except he might have more political 'street cred' from the media's standpoint.

If Trudeau wants to run, he should have to run for his money in a Bloc riding. Make it something significant.


He should run in a riding that went Liberal in 2000, but Bloc Quebecois in 2006 so at least he has a chance at winning, but it won't be a guarantee.

Anonymous - Fully agree with you. And I think your example of George W. Bush is a great one who had everything handed down to him and was a miserable failure in both the public and private sector. He only won two terms since he had Karl Rove as his advisor who is a very vicious and nasty one, but successful at creating fear which worked up until now.

3:08 PM  
Blogger MB said...

Dylan/Miles- couldn't agree more. My main reaction to this was the same as to rumours that Ben Affleck would be the Democratic Senate candidate in Virginia last year- you're joking right?

Justin Trudeau, like his father, is simply a media darling. The guy's got no real political savvy, and I guarantee you most people in the blogosphere would make better MPs than him. It's, in essence, a continuation of the media's love affair with PET, something that did help him to win re-election three times.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

BC Tory - I fully concur. Although I will admit some of the more right of right bloggers I would never want to have as MPs, but on the whole the majority of moderate ones would be better than him. Besides even as a Liberal I don't think Pierre Trudeau was a great PM. He divided the country and rather than staying in the centre where most successful Liberal leaders be it Laurier, Mackenize King, St. Laurent, Pearson, Turner, Chretien, and Martin were, he decided to swing to the left and govern like a dipper. I support the Liberal ideology, not automatically anyone who runs under the Liberal banner.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home