Monday, February 06, 2006

Emerson's Defection

Well it looks like only a mere two weeks after the election, the first defection has occurred. Since I defended Belinda Stronach's defection, I am not going to slam David Emerson's defection, but all I will say is at least Belinda Stronach waited a year before defecting so I think the case for defecting at least seems more legitimate in the voter's eyes if done a year after the election than only two weeks. At least Belinda Stronach will say the party turned out differently than expected. The one good thing though is Harper is no longer shut out of the big three cities (Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal), although considering the history of Vancouver-Kingsway, I think Emerson will have a tough time winning re-election. Mind you I expect him to run in a different riding. As a final word to my Tory friends, I expect to not hear anymore criticisms of Belinda's defection unless you are willing to criticize Emerson's defection. Anyways I will have more on the cabinet this evening. The only criticisms I will make now is Vic Toews was a bad choice for Justice minister due to his social conservatism as well as there should have been a deputy prime-minister who would off course take on another ministry. Without one, it looks like Harper is too much of control freak. I'll comment on the individual appointments this evening as I have to head off to work.

4 Comments:

Blogger BL said...

Well, Emerson will have to explain himself. There's no question about that.

The funny thing is, just I never really thought Beelinda Stronach was a Conservative at heart, I had a hard time believing that Emerson was a Liberal at heart either.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I think Emerson is like myself a blue Liberal/Red Tory so he really wouldn't be comfortable in either party while the same could be said about Belinda Stronach. Lets remember she supported Mike Harris' common sense revolution so she is no liberal, however she was a social liberal which most Conservatives aren't, so that put her in a tough position much like myself. I too supported Mike Harris' common sense revolution and still on the whole support it, although I do disagree with some individual decisions just as there are some things about Harper I support, but more I oppose than support. And if you want to argue Mike Harris was more right wing than Harper, I should remind you his campaign manager Jamie Watt was openly gay, whereas I don't think you would ever see Harper appointing any gay person to any position around him. Besides Harper not only supports the spending cuts Mike Harris did, but believes in radical decentralization of the federation. His views are well known and he has just been hiding them so he can get elected.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting blog...a good read.

Regards,
A Cassville Heritage Association member, Cassville, Georgia
Allatoona Pass

4:02 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

SCV member - I think you've come to the wrong blog as I post on current events not historical ones and besides you might want to post in more recent posts as I don't like into old posts very often.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home