Friday, December 01, 2006

Convention Speech

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the convention speeches live since this morning I had to fix a flat tire on my car and wasn't able to head off to Montreal until 3:00Pm, although I did get to read the transcripts. None of the speeches were inspiring enough to have a major positive impact, but none were either terrible to sink a candidate. If anything the speeches will just re-affirm why people choose their candidates. I liked Michael Ingnatieff's tone, Ken Dryden's passion, Stephane Dion's enthusiasm, Gerard Kennedy's vision, and Joe Volpe's talk about his own family story. Rae did his without notes, which was quite bold, but came off fine. Tomorrow morning I will comment once the first ballot results are in.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delegates here are already talking about Rae's huge gaffe by not speaking en francais until the end of his speech.

Chantal Hebert hit the nail right on the head - when you try winging it and start off in your first language, it's hard to switch to your second. But that won't help Rae with annoyed francophone delegates.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Anonymous - I fully agree. I didn't watch the actual speeches, but just read the transcripts, which were off course translated, so I missed this part, although a big mistake certainly.

10:24 PM  
Blogger BL said...

You're in Montreal?

10:35 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Brandon - Yes I am in Montreal, it is only five hours from Toronto and I got a four day weekend as my job gives me two days of pro-rated vacation so while my original goal was to be an observer until I saw the cost, I decided to still go anyways to see the sights and sounds of Montreal.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home