Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Whats at Stake in next week's Alberta race

As Jim Dinning rightfully pointed out after coming in first on the first ballot, but still falling short of 50%, this is not just a battle between three men, this is a battle over the future of Alberta. A battle between those who look forward to the future and those who look to the past. The reason I choose Jim Dinning as my first choice was I was impressed by the leadership he showed during hard times in turning Alberta's finances around. This takes leadership and is not an easy thing to do. I am also naturally attracted to people from the business world since many of the skills required to be a successful businessman are required in politics such as leadership, teamwork, innovation, and cooperation. While Jim Dinning is my first choice, Ed Stelmach would be a very close second choice. Both are good choices and I would encourage all moderate Albertans to go for their preference as their first choice and then the other moderate as their second choice. I have been impressed by Ed Stelmach's ability to unite people from across the province and political spectrum. Which leads me to the most extreme and divise of them all, Ted Morton. Ted Morton's Alberta and Canada is not the type I support. He is well to the right of any leader any province has ever had in Canadian history. If you don't believe me I suggest you read this
Jim Dinning does an excellent job of outlining the dangers Ted Morton poses not just to Alberta but Canada as a whole. I don't think anyone could have said it better. While some may say I should butt out, I should note most of my family lives in Alberta so I do have a reason to be concerned. Also I am a proud Canadian who will fight tooth and nail against anyone who wishes to weaken this great country. Ted Morton plays to all the negative stereotypes too many Canadians associate with Alberta, which I know to be utterly false. Albertans are pro-free enterprise, want smaller government, but are also generous and tolerant, not narrow minded and mean spirited like Ted Morton and his crowd. For those who call Jim Dinning a Liberal, I should remind them he was finance minister who made major spending cuts and supported privatization of several crown corporations, so he is no left winger or left-leaning liberal. Rather he is a progressive conservative as opposed to a right wing ideologue. For those who say Alberta is a conservative province, I say yes but a moderate one. Steve West is right when he said most Albertans are a little right of centre, but not on the far right. I should also remind those who support Morton that Montana which borders the most conservative parts of Alberta elected a Democrat in the most recent senate elections so even conservative areas have their limits. In addition almost all their seat losses in 2004 were to parties to the left of the PCs and in the cities. 44% voted for parties to the left of the PCs, while only 10% voted for parties to the right of them, so that should really tell you something about where Albertans really stand.

Hopefully after December 2nd, Ted Morton will lose and even better go join the Alberta Alliance where he really belongs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if the Fiberals will re-think their electoral strategy of continuous Alberta bashing if Morton wins?

Nah.

Don't worry though, Morton won't win - this time.

But, if the next federal election is filled with more of the racist-like Alberta baiting that has become the Liebrals campaign hallmark....Morton or the Alliance will be back stronger than ever.

This should be a message to you guys: stop promoting hatred of Alberta to win votes in Ontario. That strategy can be blamed, I believe, for up to half of Morton's support.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home