Tuesday, February 27, 2007

ATA defeated

I am very pleased to see the ATA defeated. As a strong supporter of civil liberties and individual rights, such provisions were simply too draconian for me to support. I want to see terrorism combatted, but I will never agree to surrender some of my freedom for greater security. Such thing would only be giving victory to the terrorists. I am also sick and tired of the Conservatives referring to opponents of the ATA as left wing extremists. They should remember this is Canada, not the United States on tough on terrorism laws are not nearly as popular here as in the US so this type of talk likely won't work. In addition I consider myself a moderate libertarian who believes in individual freedom. I support the right of farmers to not go through the Wheat Board, I support allowing individuals to watch channels not approve by the CRTC, I support the right for someone to choose to get health care where they want including private clinics (provided they fall within the law) and I also support legalized marijuana, euthanasia, and gay marriage. Simply speaking, I am support the view that the best society is where one is given as much freedom as possible and freedom is only restricted when one's actions harm another. No party to my disappointment shares my libertarian views, but at least the Liberals on most non-economic matters share my views. In fact I don't see how anyone who calls themselves a Libertarian could in good conscience support these provisions, so it is just a left wing idea, it is also a libertarian idea as well.

I do though think the Liberals should have allowed individual MPs to vote with the government if they wanted to. Considering all those who spoke out against Dion's position abstained or were absent, I am pretty sure it still would have passed. If anything Harper's comments about Bains probably did more to unite the party than divide it as he was hoping. Anyways I wish the government would stop assuming that the language the Republicans use works in Canada since as I've said before, the border between Canada and the United States is not just a line on the map as many Conservatives think, it is a divide of cultures and two peoples who have a different set of values. That doesn't mean Americans are bad, it simply means they are different and what is popular there won't necessarily be here. It would be equally wrong for the United States to try and implement policies such as our gun laws, single-payer health care and our foreign policy which is popular here, but out of touch with mainstream American values.

5 Comments:

Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

The supreme court of Canada ruled that these measures are constitutional. The police say that these clauses provide them with necessary tools to fight terrorism. The families of the Air India bombing and 9/11 victims have begged parliament to renew the measures.

I see the Charter as the minimum in terms of freedoms, but I believe government should go further. On both the Wheat Board and ban on foreign satellites, the Supreme Court has said they are constitutional, but that doesn't change my view.

In addition I don't feel they are necessary as they have not been used to date and the threat of terrorism is largely not a factor in Canada and will only become a factor if we align our foreign policy too closely with the United States.

I fully understand the Air India victims and 9/11 victims feelings, but the job of government is to look at all sides and then make a reasonable judgement. I imagine most families who have had a family member murdered favour a return to the death penalty, but that doesn't make the death penalty right.

Opposition to these measures, which were brought in by the Liberal Party of Canada back when it was respectable, is purely based in ideology. Extremist left-wing elements in the party have been allowed to dictate Liberal policies.

This is incredibly insulting to many Canadians. Those who oppose these elements are not extremists. In fact most libertarians (which I am moderate one) would oppose them. I am for smaller government and as someone who has stayed true to this principle, I cannot support these measures.

Not all people follow the left/right ideology, many like myself are a mixture of right wing on some issues and left wing on others.

6:12 PM  
Blogger James Curran said...

I see that Dauphin is circulating the Conswirvative talking points again. Same points issued on Scott Tribe's blog and others. What a bunch of clones.... oops, I meant clowns.

THe WHat Do I Know Grit.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

James Curran - It looks like he is a Tory troll. I wonder if he works for the party.

4:44 AM  
Blogger BL said...

I suggest you all read this.

If it is true, I've totally misread Dion. It appears that beneath that wonkish facade is a politician every bit as sleazy as the worst elements of the Liberal Party.

And it would thus appear to indicate that Dauphin is right on the mark.

7:07 PM

7:10 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Brandon - I've read the article and I am not sure if it is true. Even if it is, I think those in the ethnic community have every reason to oppose these measures considering all too often they've fallen victim to abuses of them.

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home