Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Maurizio Bevilacqua enters the race

It appears that Maurizio Bevilacqua will be the fourth candidate entering the Liberal leadership race. While he is not widely known to the public, he is a veteran MP who has served the riding of Vaughan (in the 905 belt of the GTA just north of Toronto) since 1988. He is a newer generation being only 45 and would be the first non-anglophone/non-francophone if he became PM. He is generally a right of centre Liberal who believes in fiscal conservatism and social progressive values much like myself. I was especially impressed with his talk about improving productivity. I believe improving productivity is a very important thing if we wish to keep our economy strong. I was concerned that the debate would be too much centered on social issues and not enough on economic issues. Hopefully with his entry the party can discuss both. Although his chances of winning are a long-shot that doesn't mean I won't consider endorsing him, although I plan to wait until all candidates have entered before making my endorsement. I think also his point about not moving the party to the left is one the party should take note of. As I mentioned in a lower post, it is the centre were elections are won and loss, not the left, so if we want to defeat the Tories that is where we need to be. I'll have more on each candidate as they enter. I also plan to blog a little more on provincial politics as important issues emerge as well as the Alberta PC leadership race since most of my family is from Alberta and the company I worked for Western Financial Group was headquartered there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home