Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Joe Comuzzi's defection to the Tories

Now that it is official, I will weigh in. I refused to write on this earlier since I wanted to hear what both Harper and Comuzzi had to give as their explanations for their decision before commenting. Anyways my opinions on this topic are expressed here and here so no need to go further on this. Although when talking specifically about Comuzzi's defection, I will say these three things.

1. I believe Joe Comuzzi was truly a Liberal in his viewpoints back in 1988 when he ran as a Liberal, but people's views change and over the last few years, it has become clear that he becoming increasingly more conservative in his viewpoints and would therefore be a better fit in the Conservative Party. I fully support the Liberal Party and I also support diversity of opinions within it, but clearly those who are more in line with another party are best to go join that one.

2. The Tories only got 22% last time around in this riding compared to the NDP getting 35% and the Liberals 36% so he stands almost no chance at being re-elected. This hasn't elected a Conservative since 1930. The Liberals may not hold this one, but the battle will be between the Liberals and NDP.

3. I support his defection with one qualifier; he promise to seek re-election as a Conservative in Thunder Bay-Superior North, so that his constituents can pass judgement on whether he made the right or wrong decision.

An interesting side note is both the defections to the Tories since Dion became leader were from MPs who supported Joe Volpe for Liberal leadership. I fully agree with all the Tory criticisms of Volpe so it seems a bit hypocritical they are taking people who endorsed him. Too bad Volpe didn't defect as well since we could do just fine without him also and at least get a Liberal with more integrity next time around.

And finally, I was wondering if anyone has any predictions on when Bill Casey will defect to the Liberals. Despite his claim that he has no plans on switching to the Liberals, I suspect after a few months as an independent, he will realize just like Turner and Comuzzi that he has little power and will therefore switch to the Liberals. My guess is November, so lets see how close I come here or if I am even right about him defecting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am live in Joe's Riding. I worked during both the 2004 and 2006 elections for Joe. I donated money was in the campaign office 10hs a day. Joe leaving the Liberal Party was a shock but Joe becoming a Conservative was a bigger shock I am not sure how Harper and Joe can live with what happened in a Riding that clearly hates the Conservatives.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Anonymous - I can understand your disappointment with his switch and my support here is more about the fact I support the principle of MPs being allowed to cross the floor if they feel they are a better fit in a different party. Off course I agree that he get defeated if he runs as a Conservative next election, which is why I think it is incumbent he seek re-election so his constituents can pass judgement.

I was not totally shocked that he was kicked out since voting differently than the party on a budget issue generally results in being kicked out of the party.

As for his defection, I think much like Garth Turner he realized one cannot do much as an independent as those from parties without official party status (less than 12 seats) lack party funding and cannot serve on committees. That is also why I expect Bill Casey to eventually defect to the Liberals.

6:38 PM  
Blogger opinionator777 said...

I predict that Bill Csey will defect to the Liberals by July 31st. As for the defection that officially happened, it stinks. Once your elected to a party, one should not be allowed to defect to another party. They should be forced to run out the rest of the term as an independent and then be forced to run for nomination in the said new party or old if they changed their minds a second time.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Opinionater 777 - I predicted November for Bill Casey since the house doesn't return until mid September so I would be surprised if he defects before then.

I am for defections since no MP should be forced to stay in a party whose views they are uncomfortable with. In addition this empowers MPs as due to strict party discipline, party leaders without defections being allowed can assume all MPs will support them whereas if allowed this forces them to consult with their MPs to ensure they support the policies.

In addition all MPs who defect will eventually face judgement by their constituents provided they run in the same riding, which is why I always insist that all those who defect seek re-election in the riding they represented when they defected.

9:06 AM  
Blogger opinionator777 said...

What I don't like is when something happens like David Emerson did right after the last election, switching from Liberal to Conservative in that case. To me, by defecting, especially immediately following the election, not only shows the said nominee is a sore loser, but it really shows that the nominee thinks the electors are guillable and will forget what happened by the next election.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

If there was any defection that shouldn't be allowed it was Emerson's. However, there is a difference between disagreeing with the party over the direction versus blatant opportunism. Comuzzi, Khan, and Turner were the former (as was Brison and Stronach) while Emerson was the latter.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home