Friday, December 16, 2005

Les debats en Francais

I would have to say that I found the French debates a yawner, although part of it maybe due to French not being my native language. Listening to a translator doesn't have the same effect as hearing the candidates speak directly since it is not just what the leaders say, but how they say it. I would say there wasn't a clear winner, but if I had to choose one, I would choose Gilles Duceppe. Here is my take on each leader's performance

Martin: He was reasonably well composed and did a good job of emphasizing the Liberal record as well as the importance of national unity. At the same time I don't think he did a great job of countering Gilles Duceppe's attacks.

Duceppe: He was well composed and did a good job of putting Martin on the spot. I also think his emphasis on this being an election about the scandal rather than sovereignty, while still admitting he was in favour of sovereignty was the best way to handle it.

Harper: Didn't do a particularly good job considering he asked for a couple of questions to be repeated. I do think his answer on that he would still love his children if one turned out to be gay showed his human side and I am glad he said he wouldn't use the notwithstanding clause to prevent gay marriages.

Layton: An okay job in explaining why people should send more New Democrats. This was really a warmup for him as he is not likely to win any seats in Quebec.

This debate was really between the Liberals and Bloc Quebecois as neither the NDP or Tories are likely to win seats in Quebec. It is for that reason Martin seemed to focus on attacking Gilles Duceppe rather than Harper as he needs to get as many federalist votes as he can so attacking the NDP and Conservatives would be counter-productive for Quebec. On the other hand, I expect Martin to focus on Harper in tonight's English debate and I hope he puts him on the spot.

1 Comments:

Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I agree here. I think Harper spends too much time relying on Vic Toews for legal advice. It is true the Supreme Court of Canada hasn't ruled on same-sex marriage, but nine lower courts have so unless the notwithstanding clause was invoked, only in Alberta, PEI, NWT, and Nunavut could they revert to the traditional definition of marriage. In addition the issue would likely land itself in a Supreme Court challenge, which they would lose.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home