Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The English Debate II

The English debate had some interesting exchanges, but no knockout punches. I was quite impressed with Steve Paikin's questions including asking some difficult ones, which I think all parties need to be put on the spot for. In terms of winners, everyone who I've talked to and every blog I've been to says whoever they were hoping for won, so this debate seems to have changed a little. Off Course I am no different since I think Martin won, but I am sure any Tory and NDP visitors here would disagree. Here is my summary of each leader

Martin: With his numbers slipping further and further behind in the polls, he needed to use this debate to turn it around. I was impressed with the impassion he spoke with. I also liked his comments on economic matters like lower taxes, Canada being competitive with the United States, China, and India, and the strong economy. His surprise announcement on the notwithstanding clause will be interesting in terms of how this plays out. I agree with him, but I am not sure how well it will go over. I also agreed with Harper's plan to put property rights in the Charter, which I know the Liberals condemned as an extreme right wing idea, so I am not a blind liberal partisan. I felt Martin was right to quote some of Harper's old speeches. This is not about smearing Harper, but simply having Harper explain whether he stills holds those views or not, which is a legitimate question.

Harper: Was relatively calm and answered the questions reasonably well, so I would give him a close second. However, he did some like a bit like a coldfish, although I guess most people are use to him being that way. I felt his response on the notwithstanding clause trap, even though I disagree with him, was well answered as was his talk about working with the NDP. He knows that if NDP voters switch to the Liberals at the last moment to stop a Tory victory he could be in trouble, so smart move.

Duceppe: Actually one of his weaker debates, although since English is not his first language, I think we can cut him some slack. Besides this was really a warm-up as besides a few Anglophones in Montreal and other parts of Quebec, there probably weren't too many Quebecers watching the debate. He was a lot better in the French debate, but I'll talk about that tomorrow

Layton: Was caught between a rock and a hard place, but despite what others said, I think he did an okay job. He couldn't spend too much time attacking only Martin or Harper, so I felt he found the right balance. Also his remarks of the Liberals and Tories being the same while the solution for working people is to send More New Democrats was probably not a bad idea. Since a minority government looks likely, he needs to emphasize the importance of more New Democrats, which I think he did.

So how will this play out. Martin did a good job of holding his ground as did Harper, but with Martin trailing he needed a knockout punch, which he didn't get. Now the attack ads and future policy announcements are all he has left. I still think the Liberals can win since if the Tories could go from 5 points behind to 10 points ahead, then surely things can turn the other way, although I'll admit a Liberal victory is becoming increasingly difficult day by day. Harper is now in the home stretches and although unlike last time he has some wiggle room since he can drop a bit and still become prime-minister, he cannot afford to have another Randy White incident if he wishes to win the election.

Predictions: Conservatives 105-125 Liberals 100-120, Bloc Quebecois 55-65, NDP 20-30 seats, so still not over yet.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Conservatives 150

6:22 AM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

Biff - I think as more and more polls suggest Harper is heading for a majority, some soft Conservative supporters will go back to the Liberals. Also the attack ads are the roll of the dice, which could either help or tank the campaign.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bet is tank.

A party typically doesn't t win elections when they insult and offend every single past and current member of the Canadian Forces.

It certainly isn't over yet and it will be a few days before we see if Martin's zany notwithstanding clause plan and his vicious, misleading, deceitful and shameful ads give him any traction.

The real question is how much lower can Paul Martin and the Liberals sink - and I don't mean in the polls.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I will admit even myself, I thought the ads, especially the military one was over the top. I don't mind attack ads, like the NDP boot one, was a good one. In terms of sinking lower, yeah Martin has sunk pretty far, but I am voting based on the platform (Red Book and BC Agenda) rather than campaign. If you read both of them, there actually quite reasonable, not left wing like much of their rhetoric is.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Miles - you actually believe they'll deliver on their promises in the Red Book and the BC Agenda! Don't you remember the 90s and the 2004 election? These documents will be in the trash heap on January 24th regardless of the outcome of this election.

But good to hear you agree the ads were hysterical and junk.

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home