Sunday, December 03, 2006

Alberta's Next Premier: Ed Stelmach

Yesterday was an interesting day in the sense we not only had two political races, but both winners came from behind to win. Both won largely because they were the second choice of many, but also both won because they were consensus candidates who were liked by most members of the party not just certain segments. In the case of the Alberta PC race, I was relieved after the first round to see Ted Morton get dropped off. I guess the fear of Premier Morton encouraged more moderates to sign up or perhaps he maxed out since those on the hard right have a strong base, but limited appeal beyond that. After Morton dropped off, I know Alberta would get a decent moderate premier whether Dinning or Stelmach won. As someone from Rural Alberta, but closer to Edmonton than Calgary, hopefully he can help re-build the party in Edmonton. In addition, should I land in Alberta before the next provincial election, I will support the Alberta PCs, whereas had Morton won I would have gone over to the Alberta Liberals much like I have federally after Harper won.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home