Friday, December 08, 2006

Dion's Dual Citizenship

I hadn't discussed this issue much since for me it was not a major issue. While I would prefer the Prime-minister be only a Canadian citizen, as long as their loyalty lies with Canada ahead of any other nation it really becomes a symbolic issue. After watching Dion's stance on the clartiy act, I don't think anyone could question his loyalty to Canada. And considering he doesn't hold a French passport and has not voted in any election he is really only a French citizen in name. I certainly despise Ezra Levant and feel his attacks were totally inappropriate. On the issue of foreign policy, I would rather we align ourselves more with France rather than the United States. However, the issue becomes that if one has dual citizenship, will it appear as a conflict of interest if there is ever a dispute between the two countries. In addition while I have no problem with a PM being Canadian/French citizen, I would have a big problem if one was a dual American/Canadian citizenship so the question becomes is it fair to say one can have dual citizenship with some countries but not others. At the end of the day, I will support Dion no matter which choice he makes, but if I were advising him, I would renounce just to take the issue off the table so we can focus on the real issues and actually defeat the Harper government.

I am though a little concerned about the nasty rhetoric of some Liberals calling people racists, bigots, and intolerance for being against a PM having dual citizenship. Lets remember citizenship is in relation to a political entity, not a religion, culture, or ethnicity and it relates to one's political rights and obligations not one's cultural heritage. I am strong believer in multiculturalism and immigration, but I am a proud Canadian, only a Canadian, and a Canadian first and I don't think those who advocate that our politicians should be loyal to Canada and no one else should be called intolerant. After all we are a diverse nation so loyalty to Canada and no one else is not intolerance. In fact part of the reason I have strongly challenged Harper is notwithstanding the fact he is only Canadian, is I sometimes feel he has greater loyalty to the United States than Canada and this is an issue for me. The fact Dion has said he will renounce it if Canadians make a big issue out of it should hopefully put this trivial issue to rest. In addition I believe it is illegal for a French citizen to serve in a foreign government so he would likely have to renounce it anyways, although it might be wrong here.

UPDATE: I Checked French citizenship laws and French Citizens cannot serve as a foreign government leader, so he would lose his French citizenship making it a mute point. More importantly my understanding is he had the opportunity to obtain French citizenship, but I don't believe he ever applied for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home